Monday, July 13, 2009

Turmoil

I finished up a good week in the church and managed to pull out of a rough depression. It helped greatly that I have people in the church who are focused and excited about some good works they are preparing to do: feeding the hungry, building homes, clothing the needy. You know. God's work.

Of course, there will be some resistance. I got an ominous phone call from someone who wants a meeting because there are “things going on that they're bothered about.”

I know why they're bothered. It's too exciting. It's a little big and bold. It's out of their control.

And worst of all, it's not about them.

In most churches, a few naysayers can railroad momentum. I wonder if it will happen this time.

There are so many things out of my control. If the opposing parties speak unpleasantly enough, it will discourage people who bring the most potential to our church, and we'll lose them. If I squelch down the complainers, who are mostly longtime members, they could leave and that would hurt us, too. Or the whole thing could blow up and everyone could leave.

I can be conciliatory or adversarial. I can be brilliant in my negotiating skills. But it really boils down to how much maturity and humility these people have.

There's nothing in my decades of experience to give me much hope that this will end well. But in all fairness this most recent church has surprised me in the past.

So we'll see.

We'll sit in our multi-million dollar church building and argue over whether we should spend a few thousand dollars to send volunteers to build brick huts for families in Mexico so the children can have roofs over their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment