Thursday, October 22, 2009

Stain Glass Sins

I'm feeling sick right now.

My church will have spent $40,000 on stain glass windows by the end the year. They're pretty, I suppose, although I prefer seeing out to watch kids walk home from school.

For that amount of money we could have built eighteen homes for families in Mexico who currently live in wooden huts with dirt floors. Their new homes would be the size of my living room, but they would have electricity, concrete floors, and functioning outhouses. And those families would have been thrilled.

Which one would honor Christ more? A pretty picture of him holding a child, or a real home where a child could sleep more comfortably tonight?

2 comments:

  1. John 12:8 "You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

    Honoring Jesus with nice things is more important than the poor to some. Of course, if you were to look at my life and see what percentage of my money goes to me and what percentage goes to help others I know I'd be found lacking as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I thought about that passage, too. And one reason, I'm posting this on my anonymous blog is that I don't want to hurt people's feelings who thought they were doing good.

    I've also struggled a bit with how much I spend on myself vs how much I spend to help others, and I haven't come to a peace about it.

    When I come to a church, I have to ride the momentum they have when I get there before I can actually steer. If I had been there a few years back, they would not have their new building because I just don't believe it was worth it. But since they have it, I'll work to get it paid off and maintained. I've already told them that the next million dollar project will not be focused on developing our own real estate but on feeding and housing hungry people.

    ReplyDelete