Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Musketeers

The Man in the Iron Mask is one of my favorite movies. It touches on the important themes of honor, bravery, the pride and sorrow we have in our children, unselfish love, and sacrifice.

And sword fighting.

I enjoyed watching the four old musketeers when they were past their prime. When it was time to fight, they moved with practiced speed, outclassing their younger adversaries. When they charged toward the squadron of muskets, one opponent breathed his admiration:

“Magnificent valor!”

They lived and died for a cause greater than themselves. They were strong personalities coming together for a common purpose. And they were loyal to each other:

“All for one and one for all!”

I know it’s melodrama. In real life I work to make good things happen, but I do most of it at my desk and on the phone, and it looks pretty dull. On the outside, I’m a rotund, wordy minister, but on the inside I’m the noble swordsman riding on a powerful steed.

I still believe in nobility, honor, loyalty, and courage. I see these qualities just enough to keep believing in them. Usually they come from ordinary people doing extraordinary things at extreme times.

I wish our churches could remember to look on things through the eyes of a hero. Too often our heroism is leeched away by selfishness, pettiness, fear, and unwillingness to give up comfort.

I’m not the only one that values nobility and heroism. Movies like this one are very popular and not just for the action.

Perhaps part of my job is to call us to be the heroes we secretly want to be.

4 comments:

  1. Great movie, time to see it again. I too am moved by stories like that, life is not so simple otherwise we could all solve our problems like Errol Flinn. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I could tell you were a movie buff by your previous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touche! (I'm so freakin' clever). No joke, this is worth reading again, and again.
    ---JagWar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a tiny bit. ;-) I got it from my Dad who, now that he's retired, goes to see nearly every movie that comes out. I see far fewer movies than he does.

    ReplyDelete