Friday, April 8, 2011

Time to Move On


We’ve reached the point where I have no one to trust or rely on. After marrying, burying, baptizing, comforting, and counseling these people, a large segment of them, many of whom I have helped, went to my superior behind my back to complain and ask for me to be removed from my position. 

They have no idea what they’ve done. They may not ever figure it out.

It turns out I have a reputation that goes beyond their little realm. My supervisor was not impressed with the dozen people who came to him with their complaints. He was not impressed that they went behind my back. He was not impressed with their petty complaints. And he didn’t believe them.  Neither did the larger cabinet who decided to promote me.

I’m moving on to a church that is excited at the prospect of having me. I’ll be leaving a church that was at each other’s throats when I got there and will continue to devour each other when I’m gone.

The group that went to my boss? The group that won? They’ll be blamed and hated the rest of their time here. They didn’t know that I’ve been protecting them. 

To hell with em.

It’s time to pack my bags and go. 

9 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of you. Glad to hear your integrity is known and that you will be moving on to a church that will appreciate you.

    I'd say "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." But they sure as hell did know what they were doing.

    The backstabbing in some churches can be pretty scary and always saddening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feels wrong to click "like" on that. Why can't groups of people who claim to be following Christ rise about such bitchy, backstabbing behaviour? I'm so glad you have somewhere you can move on to, and I really hope you find a group of people who are prepared to cherish you for who you are, allow you to shake the dust of this place from your feet.

    This sort of thing makes me think there's no hope for Christianity. I can't imagine how it must make you feel.

    I can't in all honesty say I'll pray for you - but I wish I could. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you progress in your new home, as you feel able to share.

    May God go with you. There's obviously no room for him at your old church.

    - Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, thanks. Yeah, they knew what they were doing. The backlash is already happening to them. But it won't be from me. I'm being so sweet right now that you'd get a cavity from my last sermon!

    Chris, I really do worry that Christianity, the version it was meant to be is an endangered species. I really appreciate your good thoughts and supportive words are very valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such a hard time understanding how a group of people who assemble in the name of God, any God, can act so ungodly. Sometimes people cannot see themselves, I guess. They spend so much time looking out that they forget to look within.

    You'll be fine, they won't, and I'm sorry for them, but not sorry enough to not be glad you'll be gone. I just hope you will be going someplace that deserves you, because you deserve that! ~K

    ReplyDelete
  5. K, I grew up the son of a minister, and I've been a minister all of my professional life. Plus, I've studied the history of Christianity. I know and have seen firsthand the cruelties people commit in the name of their religion.

    I'm not naive but I still get my feelings hurt.

    I forgot where I was going with this.... Thanks for your words of support, as always. I'm looking forward to better days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your blog (which I follow from its reference at Camels w Hammers)

    Colin Hutton

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colin, I'm glad you do. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you find peace in a new calling, and I hope in time, you will find the grace to forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. brgulker, thank you and I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete