Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I'm Not Wyatt Earp

I'll tell you what nudged my thoughts in last night's post.

I was watching Tombstone, the story of Wyatt Earp. They'd killed one brother and maimed another. He rode out of town with his family as if he'd been completely beaten. But as soon as his family was safe he went back to defeat them with his friend Doc Holliday.

I can relate.

I have felt like a sheriff more than once. I've faced mean and occasionally dangerous people before. And I've had friends I loved dearly who were every bit as drunk and deadly as Doc.

Okay, there are some differences, too. This isn't the old West. I'm not tall, slim, and tough. I don't ride a horse (a motorcycle instead). I carry a Bible, not a six gun (I can shoot one though). And I don't kill people. In fact, to the best of my limited ability I try to honor Jesus by blessing my enemies (but I'm reaching my limit on that one).

But other than that, I'm exactly like Wyatt Earp. 

Well, okay not exactly like him. 

Okay, not like him at all.

I still don't like walking away without having gotten the job done.

On the other hand, I can learn to live with it.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Clergy Guy,

    You are not the first nor will be the last pastor to find himself on the outs with a particular church community. Friends of mine have found themselves in this situation twice due to no fault of their own, but due to the sins of the senior pastor of those congregations. In the second case, the senior pastor had been outed as a statutory rapist by his victim. In both instances, the congregations split over the conflict, the senior pastors having attained cult figure status with a large number of church members.

    There are wolves amongst the sheep in every congregation and sometimes the wolves are those whom have been given authority. But that does not mean God does not have control! Sometimes God's people have to go into the fiery furnace and sometimes into the lion's den. God uses this suffering to conform us a little more into the likeness of His suffering Son.

    May God be with you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crownring, thank you so much for your words of encouragement. The two churches you've mentioned are certainly not unique, are they? I wish they were because you describe some wicked things. I'm leaving over the issues of cranky petty folk--sorry to say I've become one of them.

    thanks again for the good words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reaching your limit - 70 times 7? Perhaps it feels like it...

    All the best,

    Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, you wear the boots too. Can't forget the boots!!! I'm thinking there's definitely some similarities between you and Wyatt, kind of like 1st cousins! ;) ~K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, that's right. 490 times and I'm done.

    K, I may not wear the star, but I do have the boots--and I keep em shiny, too.

    ReplyDelete