Thursday, May 5, 2011

A New Set of Problems

So there's this old lady at the new church I'll be moving to. They're blaming her for everything and she probably deserves some of the credit for their problems.  

She talks too much and too loud and most of what comes out of her mouth are complaints. 

I saw her in action the first time I visited these people. She's an  old woman full of anxiety and spare time that she spends gossiping on the phone.  But she's no threat. The day I can't handle that old biddy I'll hang up my robes, retire and go fishing.  

Wait, don't tempt me.

No, she's the identified patient in this little crazy family. The scapegoat. As usual, their problems are more systemic with a strong inclination toward passive aggressiveness.  She's a hitman that they point at anyone they don't like.  

They didn't like the last guy.

But they're gonna like me. And she's gonna adore me.

4 comments:

  1. (not stalking you, but I see your updates on my RSS reader!)

    "their problems are more systemic with a strong inclination toward passive aggressiveness" - sounds almost exactly like a church ;) Mind you, you could add "or any other bunch of people." I've seen it happen in churchy and secular settings. I think the problem some have with church is they expect everything to be perfect, because they're doing stuff for the Lord, 'n'all. Then you not only get the same group dynamics as anywhere else, but a sense that you have to brush them under the carpet and look perfect - which of course breeds passive aggression. It reminds me a little of the CS Lewis essay "The Sermon and the Lunch" http://goo.gl/7Skfy . All the best, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, yeah, I think it's the hiding that leads people to go from flawed to evil. I haven't seen that essay by CS Lewis. I'll take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "she's the identified patient in this little crazy family" Yes, every crazy family has one, and every family is at least a little bit crazy...most especially church families. I think you've got a head start here. I like your positive attitude. It's a good place to start. ~K

    ReplyDelete
  4. K, they really are crazy. It's enough to drive a preacher to drinking, except they're crazy at the bars, too.

    ReplyDelete