Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I Only Work On Sundays


This morning I stayed home from the office to have some quiet.

I’m trying to write up the advent services for the next few weeks.  I was also hoping to get started on my sermon series.  Plus, I have a little more work to do for my college class tonight. 

I awoke in the night thinking of yet another friend in the community who attempted suicide, and has now reached out to me (and a couple of other people). I’ve been facebooking with her this morning. 

A few moments ago, a member of my last church contacted me and asked me for words to help her deal with grief, guilt, and anger, all mixed into one big ball of family confusion. 

And just now, a woman calls me as she drives to another town to look after her grown daughter who is sick, in great pain, and has been so for years. The mother is a wonderful, beautiful person who is desperate for her child and reaching a place of frustration in her faith.  At her request I pray with her on the phone while she drives down the highway.

Come to think of it, I have phone calls that need to be made to two other mothers who are with their children in hospitals. 

Even as I jot these words down, I’m interrupted to answer another text.

And then the phone rings.  The “Wellness” coach from my insurance company called to ask me how I’m doing with my weight loss, rest, and exercise, which almost triggers a spell of maniacal laughter. 

But I’m back in control.

It happens like this sometimes. Everything comes in at once. I actually like moving back and forth from one thing to another. I like being of help to people.   And to be honest, I’d rather do this any day than attend another goddamn church business meeting. 

I just want to have it on record somewhere for those who wonder what I do during the week that this is what I did before 10:30 this morning. 

And I still have my sermon series to write.  

7 comments:

  1. "another goddamn church business meeting"

    LOL, He certainly does seem to damn some of those get-togethers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pastor's work is never done, and he is expected to be all things to all people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike. I suppose everyone feels like the work is never done. Sometimes I reach the end of an evening and think, "I guess I'll just stop now."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, most people do feel that way, but few are expected to fulfill so many roles on the way a pastor is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I didn't get around to reading this post until late, so we're even. ;-)

    ReplyDelete