Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I Can't Look


I can’t look at the TV and I can just barely glance at the headlines.

I don’t to hear the details of the shootings. I don’t to know how many shots were fired. I don’t want to speculate on what the children felt during the time of the shootings. I don’t want to see the faces of the children’s parents. I don’t want to hear of the heroics of the teachers. I don’t want to hear about what people witnessed when they who first arrived on the scene. I don’t want to see funerals. I don’t want to know about the quiet awkward guy who did the shooting and I don’t want to see the agony of his mother.

I can’t look at the pictures of beautiful children that died violently.

I don’t want to hear interviews of psychological experts. 

I don’t want to see the news whores scrambling to interview traumatized parents. 

I don’t want to hear political whores use this event to pontificate about their own views. 

And God, I’m can’t stand facebook where people feed their anxieties about gun laws and extra security and questions about who is at fault for letting this happen.   

I’ve already seen dead children and held shattered parents. I’ve walked through traumatized crowds.  So I don’t want to think about these things.

And yet it’s all I can think about.  

5 comments:

  1. Indeed. I don't want to think about such things either, but I also don't want to become desensitized to this kind of violence that occurs all around the world. So sad, so awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same, but I can't stop thinking about them. I keep thinking that not too long ago, that young man was a little boy, in a classroom of beaming children. His Mom and Dad had the same hopes and dreams of any parent.
    I can't help myself from wondering why, and yes, I have gone to the internet to look for answers. I am one of the reasons the news channels pimp the gore and sensationalism, because I can't look away.
    Is it our human nature that wants to take this apart? No know every detail so that in the midst of all that information, something will be gleaned that gives us an understanding? Or is it just that humans tend toward the macabre?
    I read a rant by actor Morgan Freeman yesterday, condemning media for sensationalizing the tragedy and creating a celebrity out of the murderer and that is why someone would go this route rather than just quietly commit suicide. I am not sure agree, because one would have to believe that an evil so diabolic exists, that could cause a young man would kill little children to get his name in the paper posthumously. I think it is a much different problem than the quest for notoriety.
    What ever we want to call it - my heart aches in the aftermath of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably have a least a touch of the macabre--look how popular CSI, criminal minds, and law and order are.

      But I think a big reason is that we're scared and we want to figure out some way to keep it from happening again perhaps to us.

      In the above comment, Mike said we shouldn't become desensitized, and he's right. But I feel like I've become too sensitive sometimes to function well, although I know myself well enough to know if people were in need right in front of me, I could respond.

      Delete
  3. I think that it is all about the tyranny of the few. Sad how crazy people jack up our world.

    ReplyDelete