Sunday, January 5, 2014

Flashbacks

This is the place I go to speak the things I can't say to anyone.... 

I was having a good day today until I went to the church’s grief support group. 

This week they addressed the loss of children. Some had lost grown children. Others had lost them when they were small.  My own children are alive and healthy, for which I am so thankful. 

But I had these... flashbacks, if that's the right word.
                       
I remember being with a young single mother who stood devastated as she looked at the tiny body of her beautiful daughter lying in the casket. Less than a year later, I performed her funeral, too, and I listened to HER mother wail the words, “I can’t stand it!”

I remember tears of lots of parents as they mashed tissues into their faces in a vain attempt to squash their sobs. Other parents simply let it all out and wailed uncontrollably.  I remember them all.


The professional part of me looks at myself and thinks, “Post Traumatic Stress.” But how does it help to know that? Say it’s true... what’s to be done? 

1 comment:

  1. Are you still not going to counseling? My offer to talk on the phone still stands.

    ReplyDelete